Purpose of Exhibits
- Increase awareness of BU Libraries' collections, services, and events
- Promote circulation and use of BU Libraries' collections
- Highlight University, local, national, or international events
- Educate library users
- Contribute to creating an interesting and inviting atmosphere in the
- Strengthen partnerships among BU Libraries, University, and the wider
Exhibits Committee members prepare or collaborate in preparing exhibits. We welcome your
inquiries, comments, and suggestions, which you may e-mail or call any member of the Exhibits Committee. The Exhibits Committee will respond to your inquiries, comments, and suggestions
and will notify requestors of decisions in a timely manner.
- Meet regularly
- Record and archive meeting minutes
- Schedule exhibits and maintain an exhibits calendar
- Coordinate preparation and presentation of exhibits
- Arrange for timely rotation of exhibits
- Write Exhibit Guidelines
- Recommend, order, and maintain equipment and materials needed for exhibits
- Archive exhibits (paper and web versions)
- Identify, secure, and maintain an exhibit preparation work area
- Secure necessary cleaning, upkeep and maintenance of display areas
- Write and maintain an Exhibits Manual
Criteria for Exhibits
Library Exhibits will incorporate the following principles:
- Relate to the teaching, research, and service mission of the Libraries
- Be fair-minded and sensitive regarding themes and issues of potential
- Be consistent with freedom of information and cultural diversity
- Be well thought out, adequately prepared, and aesthetically pleasing
- Display materials relevant to the theme of the exhibit
- Promote the materials, services, functions, and goals of the Libraries
- Not promote personal, commercial, or parochial organizational positions
- Facilitate cooperation among BU Libraries, the University, and surrounding
We recommend that exhibits showcase materials on a particular subject or
event, gifts recently received by the BU Libraries, special collections, little
known or unique resources, library services, materials about libraries, or
other related information.
Bartle Library display cases are located in the main
lobby, on the mezzanine, at the entrance to Special Collections, and in the Special Collections Reading Room. Science
Library display cases are located: at the main entrance and in the main lobby.
For further information about exhibit cases please call or email a committee member.
Duration of Exhibits
The duration of exhibits varies.
The Library reserves the right to extend or shorten the duration of an exhibit
based on special requests, lectures and events, changing priorities, and the
availability of staff.
- Featured on Current Exhibits Page
- Meets University Publication Guidelines
- Advertised by means of posters and other means in cooperation with the Public Relations Committee
- Disseminated through official BU media such as Dateline, Inside,